Behind Bars: Sarah Ashmore

This week we welcome Sarah Ashmore from Makai Brewing! Check out Makai Brewing during the on or off season down in Ocean Isle Beach.

AT: What’s your favorite thing about bartending?

SA: Well there’s the obvious perk of being the first to taste the beer when it goes on tap, but it would definitely have to be the people I get to meet while I’m working behind the bar! You get to hear some crazy stories and become friends with some awesome people!

AT: Do you have any advice for current or future craft beer bartenders?

SA: Come ready to learn! We’re all just swapping knowledge here, and there is so much to learn (both from the people you work with and your bar guests)! You might not always be the most knowledgeable on a particular style of beer or process, and that’s okay! It’s a new opportunity to learn!

AT: If you were a beer, which one would you be?

SA: Honestly? I have no idea, so I took a Buzzfeed quiz, and it told me I’m a wheat beer: light, sweet, and bubbly, and I don’t disagree haha! But I could also see myself being a good fruited sour: still sweet, but with a good dose of sour to account for the all the sass

Mixed Six May 12 2019

A weekly roundup of local and craft beer that can be found around the area on tap, in bottles, or in cans. These are not beer reviews and should be used for entertainment purposes only

Waterman’s Brewing

Golvenbreker Ambier: 6.4% This Amber is a rich, Belgian classic with notes of bread and dark fruits. The combination of roasted malts and a flavorful Belgian yeast strain gives this beer a medium body and a delightful bouquet.

Makai Brewing Company

Island Falls: 5.8% Topping the to-do list of almost every traveler, dreamer, or those of us just standing in the shower before work, is the image of a waterfall. The gentle whoosh… The misty foreground…See it now? An easy-drinking, bright, smooth cream ale. Let the cascade hops take you to your favorite timeless, tranquil place.

Skytown Beer Company

Wolf Dragon: 7.6% It’s a hazy, dank IPA with notes of melon, strawberry, tropical fruit all from late addition as well as importantly Game of Thrones!

Broomtail Craft Brewery

Tangerine Galloping Gose: 5% The tangerine iteration of Broomtail’s flagship Galloping Gose is fruit & tart, just in time for warmer weather.

Salty Turtle Beer Company

Surfeza: 5.4% This mexican-style lager is easy-sippin’ and perfect for the beach or just a hot Coastal Carolina summer day. SALUD!

Wilmington Brewing Company

Grapefruit Gose: 4.4% This is Wilmington Brewing Company’s first sour can release! Slip into summer with this grapefruit gose brewed with sea salt and coriander.

Searching for Summer Sours

As the weather warms, I find myself seeking brighter flavors. Citrus. Crisp. Sour. Check out what sour sippers our local breweries are rolling out to celebrate the coming of summer!

Courtesy Flytrap Brewing

Flytrap Brewing Blood Orange Gose: Our North 4th friends always kill it with their Belgian styles and fruited sours, and this gose is no exception. The guys added blood orange puree and zest to the tank during fermentation to create a zippy, fruity sour that’ll keep you really refreshed. And of course, in the interest of local love, they used Sea Love sea salt. 4.2% ABV

Broomtail Craft Brewery Margarita Gose: Broomtail’s gose series is very much beloved in the Wilmington beer scene. The base beer is their Galloping Gose, which is naturally soured with lactobacillus. This time they added lime & sea salt to make a fun twist on a margarita–with half the hangover. 5% ABV

New Anthem Beer Project Miles Ahead of You: The guys at New Anthem are most well-known for their big, bodacious IPAs, but their sour program is just as strong. Check out their new Berliner-style sour wheat ale that they re-fermented on peach and apricot purée. Its sour-sweet balance will have you coming back for more and more. 4.6% ABV

Courtesy Flying Machine Brewing

Flying Machine Brewing Company Tangerine Pomegranate LZ1: You may have had LZ1 Berliner Weisse. You may have had Raspberry LZ1 Berliner Weisse. But have you had Tangerine Pomegranate LZ1 Berliner Weisse? The Flying Machine folks nailed it this time with this juicy, tart ripper. 4.7%

Front Street Brewery Total Eclipse of the Tart: According to Head Brewer Christopher McGarvey, “Once upon a time, we were falling in love. But now we’re only falling apart. We barrel aged blackberries in our new sour beer: A Total Eclipse of the Tart. And I need you now tonight. And I need you more than ever. And if you only hold the glass tight, you’ll be drinking this forever.” 5.4%

Mixed Six May 6 2019

A weekly roundup of local and craft beer that can be found around the area on tap, in bottles, or in cans. These are not beer reviews and should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Waterline Brewing

XPA: 5.2% Light in body and low in bitterness, but packed with heaps of new world flavors from New Zealand hops.

Flytrap Brewing

West Coast IPA: 7.8% IPA with solid bitterness, citrus-forward with a bit of a piney, resinous hop character. This beer was just added to the core lineup in the Flytrap taproom. They’ll be bottling limited runs directly from their serving tank regularly in order to maximize freshness.

Ironclad Brewery

Guapa Guava Lager: 5.3% This light-bodied lager lends a grainy finish to the guava fruit. Has a touch of hibiscus to bring out the color of spring and the flavor of berries.

Mad Mole Brewing

Molesieur: 6.5% 26 IBU This bright French Saison boasts notes of cardamom, melon, and honey with a crisp, dry finish.

Edward Teach Brewing

Session IPA: 4.7% Brewed with ruthless additions of centennial and columbus hops to create a bright aroma & resiny flavor with a clean finish.

Front Street Brewery

Tomb Rocker: 8.1% Brewer Christopher’s most-prized creation, perfected in his seminary dorm room while studying to be a priest! This unique ale is brewed with monk-like devotion, using honey and heather flowers from the Scottish highlands, to create an incomparably smooth and vinous libation with the depth and complexity of fine Port wine. Gloriously easy to drink, and unlike any other earthly beer: it’s even been blessed by an Orthodox priest!

Weekly Mixed Six April 29 2019

Broomtail Craft Brewery

The Usual:4.6 % A recent collaboration with Frothy Beard Brewing out of Charleston, SC. This is a traditional English Bitter. True to style and highly crushable.

New Anthem Beer Project

Miles Ahead of You: 4.6% A Berliner-style sour wheat beer that was re-fermented on a peach and apricot purée. Brewed with pilsner and wheat malts.

Wilmington Brewing Company

Sunset Cruise: 6.8% A hazy double dry-hopped NE IPA brewed with citra and amarillo.

Flying Machine Brewing Company

Planetary Winds: 6.4% Born from a unique cross pollination of wild hops from the mountains of New Mexico, one of our new favorite ingredients, “Sabro”, is a wildly expressive addition to our newest India Pale Lager “Planetary Winds”. This new hop variety lends the beer its vibrant aroma of crushed pineapple, creamy vanilla bean and tangerine zest. Think piña colada, without the artificial flavors, slushie machines and plastic cherries.

Wrightsville Beach Brewery

Hibiscus Lavender Wit: 5.3% The Wilmywood Wit infused with hibiscus and lavender flowers!

Bill’s Brewing Company

Goodyear: 6.5% A traditional English Bitter with a perfect balance and a smooth finish. Brewed in memory of Dean Goodyear. #wizardbeer

Weekly Mixed Six April 22 2019

A weekly roundup of local and craft beer that can be found around the area on tap, in bottles, or in cans. These are not beer reviews and should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Bill’s Brewing Company

Orange Blossom Wit: 4.9% A light summer witbier exhibiting bright citrus flavors from orange blossom honey, and sweet orange peel. Balanced by a touch of toasted coriander and a clean, refreshing finish.

Salty Turtle Beer Company

Dank’s Revenge: 7.6% Sweet & juicy up front, with a bitter dankness on the back end. This west-coast inspired IPA was double dry-hopped with citra, mosaic, and ekuanot.

Front Street Brewery

El Hefe: 4.6% This wheat beer is the boss of all summer beers: bright, crisp, thirst-quenching, and crushable.   Invigorating citrus and dried berry notes replace the tired old banana-clove flavor combo of lesser wheat beers.  Take your taste buds on summer vacation: this is a boss you won’t mind working for.

Waterline Brewing Company

Cream Ale: 5.2% Super clean and crisp and perfect for those warm, sunny days!

Flytrap Brewing

Black Tea Peach Saison: 6.5% Flytrap’s classic saison aged on whole peaches and cold-steeped with black tea.

Ironclad Brewery

Hoppy Wheat Ale: 5.7% This new brew was forged with the combined hop powers of huell melon and motueka.

Verified by ExactMetrics